Friday, May 25, 2007

101 Questions

Another question. If everyone thinks of himself or herself as being right, what can be considered as wrong? Facts are disputed, scholars disagree, morals differ. Who is right? Who is wrong? Is there a right and a wrong?

What are the implications of this question to our teaching? We could say our role is to help students come to their own conclusions. What if they come to conclusions different from our own? We could argue that for a conclusion to be valid it must be in agreement with the recognized standards of a discipline. But progress is usually initiated by those who stray outside of the recognized conventions.

I don’t have answers to the questions I pose. Even if I did, would it make any difference? If you agreed with my answers, you would consider me to be right. If you disagreed with me, you would say I was wrong.

There is always “maybe.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home