Monday, October 10, 2005

Wonder

There is an Arapaho proverb that goes: “If we wonder often, the gift of knowledge will come.” How often do we stimulate our students to wonder? Our inclination is to provide information in an attempt to move students to knowledge of a subject. What would our teaching be like if we concentrated on stimulating our students’ sense of wonder?

The dictionary defines wonder as a “feeling of mingled surprise and curiosity; astonishment.” What I find students curious about when they start a course are the course requirements. How much work will be required to get a good grade? Must they attend classes? What will be included on the exams?

My first question to students is, “What do you want to learn?” I want to have students focus on the subject not the course. When I ask students why they are taking a particular course, the usual answer is that the course is needed to fill a degree requirement. Even if the student is taking the course as an elective, the motivation is to earn the necessary credits to graduate.

I wonder how I may cultivate wonder in my students. The Arapaho would say that if I stay with a question long enough, the answer will come. I wonder if that is true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home