Monday, January 23, 2006

The Seed of Knowledge

We ask questions in order to know. There is something we do not know so we inquire so that through an answer we may come to some new knowledge. Yet the seed of our new knowledge is contained within our question. We need to know something of what we do not know in order to ask our question. If we knew absolutely nothing about the subject of our inquiry, we would not be able to ask our question. If I do not know what I do not know, then I am unaware that there is anything to ask. It is when I discover that I don’t know something that I ask a question so that I may know. I will explain in less convoluted reasoning.

Say there is a topic I don’t know exists. Obviously I can’t ask a question about that subject since I am unaware that there is such a subject. That topic is not a part of my universe. Then I become aware of the existence of the subject. I now know the subject exists but I have no knowledge of its particulars. This prompts me to ask questions so that I may become informed on the subject. But the seed of my subsequent knowledge is contained in the questions I ask. Those questions guide and focus my pursuit of new knowledge. I need to know enough, even if it is knowing what I do not know, to be able to ask for what I am missing.

So what is the point of these philosophical acrobatics? Our students may enter a course feeling stupid about the subject matter. They are reluctant to ask questions for fear of sounding dumb. However, the fact that they have questions is evidence that they already know enough about the subject to be able to inquire about it. They already know more than they think they do. Asking questions is not a sign of ignorance but evidence of intelligence. You are not stupid if you know enough to ask a question. By explaining this to our students we may be able to encourage their questions. Learning begins with questions. We will learn nothing if we have nothing to ask.

“Ask and you will receive, and so your joy will be complete.” John 16:24

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home