Friday, December 12, 2008

Too Busy To Blog

Is it my imagination or is everyone increasingly busy? I was surprised to discover how long it has been since my last blog entry. I haven’t stopped thinking about learning and working on improving my teaching. I just haven’t taken the time to stop to write about it. I have been too busy. Probably just as well. You have probably been too busy to read anything I would have written.

This leads me to a concern. Everyone at my university seems to be enormously busy. That includes administrators, faculty, staff, and students. My question is, “Why are we so busy?” One answer is because we care. I am fortunate to work at an institution where we care about each other and those we serve. As a result, we all strive to improve the service we provide colleagues and students. This usually means we add to what we are already doing. But how much can we add to our workloads before we collapse?

The semester break is a good time to examine our priorities. What activities do we want to keep entering into the New Year and which ones can we discontinue? The coming holidays are also a good time to rest and rejuvenate. It is a time to remember why we do what we do and who we serve.

So, may your holidays be restful. Now, I got to get back to prepping for next semester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home