Thursday, October 13, 2005

Capturing Attention

Attention/Awareness/Action

I have found this a useful sequence when designing class lessons. I first strive to capture the students’ attention. I may begin class with an activity, a story, a question, or a provocative statement. I may even drum. That really gets their attention! Once I have the attention of students, I can focus their awareness on the point of the lesson. I follow this with an exercise or discussion to give students the opportunity to put into action the information or concept I have shared in my presentation. I have discovered in speaking to past students that the lessons they tend to remember from my classes are those lessons that were preceded by an attention-getter. There is likely to be little learning unless we first capture the attention of our students.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home